Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the Life Science fields of health care and agriculture. Its products and services are designed to benefit people and improve their quality of life. At Bayer you have the opportunity to be part of a culture where we value the passion of our employees to innovate and give them the power to change.
Rail Contracts Manager
We are recruiting for a Rail Contract Manager in our Environmental Science business - Field Based.
Bayer Crop Science is the leading UK provider of innovative crop protection solutions, providing the industry with a wide range of solutions and services. Bayer Environmental Science is a business unit of Bayer Crop Science operating in the following market segments: Industrial Vegetation Management, Turf and Ornamentals, Forestry, Pest Management and Vector Control.
What is more wonderful than enjoying life in safe environments? Safe and fast travel by train is part of a better quality of life for people around the world. We help provide the widest variety of integrated and sustainable vegetation management solutions to, together with our customers, ensure safe and efficient transportation, safe infrastructure, and safe public areas. Our commitment is to develop solutions which are efficient and respect the environment.
At Bayer you have the opportunity to be part of a culture where we value passion of our employees to innovate and give them the power to change.
To implement and proactively manage the relationship between Bayer and Network Rail in the delivery of a new Bayer Smart Weeding System Train fleet, starting operational service in 2021 for train 1. With a further 2 trains starting operation in 2022, and during the duration of the contract. Successfully implement and monitoring of contractual obligated KPIs and oversee training of new train crew. Whilst establishing and maintaining a positive partnership approach with all 3rd party suppliers (including Network Rail).
- Responsibility for coordination and execution of the UK weed spraying operations contract
- Oversee the implementation approvals, and safety assurance (CSM) and other certification of the Bayer Smart Weeding System (SWS)
- Lead and deliver the Network Rail contract – Seasonal Service (Weedspray)
- Responsible for the service quality of weed control under the respect of national legal requirements
- Be the UK project lead for implementation and maintenance of the contract
- Internal and external stakeholder management
- Plan train movements in close coordination with Network Rail’s planner team
- Manage and liaise with chosen sub-contractors to deliver contract requirements, including supplier audits as required
- Regularly meet with and manage Network Rail as per contractual requirements, ensuring Bayer meets all KPI’s within the framework of the contract
- Ensure UK management and team are kept updated with service status
- Development of other business opportunities in rail industry, for example HS2
- Optimization and resources planning of manpower
- Support testing and commissioning of SWS trains into commercial service
- Develop and maintain a working relationship with the OEM and other manufacturing suppliers ensuring supplies of strategic spare parts and consumables are available
- Manage and successfully close the OEM warranty in accordance with the original SWS vehicle purchasing contract
- Be responsible for the staff competency management system, arrange and oversee staff training requirements to meet all operational needs and regulatory requirements.
- Liaise with Railway certification and approvals bodies to manage any future engineering changes or reconfigurations of the SWS requiring 3rd party approval.
- Manage future engagement with Railway Safety Authorities e.g. Office of Rail and Road (ORR) and Rail Safety and Standards Board (RSSB) as required
- Monitor safety performance of all suppliers including tracking against KPIs
- Liaise with the external H&S expert to ensure that compliance audits of contract partners are carried out and that any corrective actions are closed off in agreed timelines
- Input into internal H&S reviews
- Act as a point of contact and internal resource to support any incident associated with the contract activity.
Qualification & Competencies:
- Excellent project management skills, planning, coordination and organisation
- Excellent communication skills – written, verbal, visual
- Customer focus: on external customers in particular
- A proven track record in delivering actual requirements vs planned requirements for operational contracts within rail.
- Proven rail management and logistical skills
- Planning experience with Network Rail
- Project management skills and experience such as GRIP and/or PRINCE2
- A strong networker and communicator. Internal and external stakeholder champion.
- Working knowledge of Health and safety legislation, ROGS and CDM regulations.
- Working knowledge of Railway Group Standards (RGS) and Railway Industry Standards (RIS)
- Ability to write and manage Risk Assessments, Method statements, Work Package Plans (WPP) and Task Brief in accordance to Network Rail requirements, hold or gain a basic knowledge of CSM-RA regulations
- Contractual understanding and experience in the rail industry is preferred, specifically with Network Rail
- Hold or gain Network Rail Sentinel Personnel Track Safety (PTS) and other Sentinel competencies as required
- Good operational knowledge of seasonal spraying is preferred
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues and external people at all levels, and manage external agencies
- Ability to work on a number of tasks concurrently, often under pressure
- Excellent IT skills: MS Office, PowerPoint, Etc.
- Work towards or hold a UK driving licence
Are you looking for a new challenge where you can show your passion for innovation? Are you interested in working as part of a global team to improve people’s lives? Then send us your online application including cover letter, CV and references.
Bayer welcomes applications from all individuals, regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, physical characteristics, social origin, disability, union membership, religion, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any unlawful criterion under applicable law. We are committed to treating all applicants fairly and avoiding discrimination.
Reference Code: 209761
Functional Area: Marketing